SWANSON TO MAKE 100TH SILVER CROWN START AT SALEM
By: Richie Murray - USAC Media
Salem, Indiana (August 6, 2019).........Kody Swanson is just a single start away from reaching a milestone mark in his racing career as the USAC Silver Crown Champ Car Series heads into the August 10 Joe James/Pat O'Connor Memorial at Indiana's Salem Speedway this Saturday.
The Kingsburg, Calif. native stands at 99 career USAC Silver Crown starts, and with one more, would join the exclusive 100 start club for the series, a mark achieved by only 18 previous drivers: Dave Darland (201 starts), Russ Gamester & Brian Tyler (197), Jerry Coons, Jr. (175), Tracy Hines (172), Jack Hewitt (163), Johnny Parsons (151), Tony Elliott (147), Eric Gordon (136), George Snider (128), Gary Hieber (125), Chuck Gurney (114), Bud Kaeding & Jimmy Sills (113), Dave Steele (111), John Heydenreich (104), A.J. Fike (102) and Larry Rice (100).
It's safe to say that no driver has accomplished more in those his first 100 than Swanson has. In that span, he's won the pole position a record 28 times, reached victory lane on an all-time best 27 occasions and finished as the runner-up 20 times, giving him a remarkable mark of top-two finishes in 47 of his 99 starts thus far, just a tick under 50 percent!
He's also added four Silver Crown driver titles (2014-15-17-18) and helped his team to five consecutive car owner championships in the past five years, another unprecedented mark that he's added to his resume.
Salem Speedway has been the home of a slew of Swanson milestones since the Silver Crown series began revisiting the .555-mile high banks in the summer of 2016. That year, Swanson broke Rich Vogler's long-standing one-lap track record in a Champ Car at Salem en route to victory. The following year in 2017, his 18th career victory moved him into second all-time on Silver Crown's win list. In 2018, the ante was upped as Swanson became the series' winningest driver following his Salem triumph, the 24th of his career.
We might also mention that Swanson's Salem win a year ago was his fifth-straight at the time, another record for the books, if you're keeping track at home.
This year, Swanson has tacked even more on to his resume with three victories (Memphis, Toledo & Madison), plus a second-place run at Williams Grove, and leads the series points entering Saturday's Joe James/Pat O'Connor Memorial where he aims to join another exclusive club, as a winner of the prestigious event for the fourth-straight year, something only accomplished once before, by the great Pancho Carter between 1974 and 1977.
It's a far cry from his first credited Silver Crown start at Iowa Speedway in 2008 where he suffered mechanical trouble, finishing last and the box score reading "0 laps competed." Since that time, Swanson has rewritten seemingly every stat in the record books or reached what once seemed like a distant dream that's now become a reality. For Swanson, another of those realities awaits this Saturday.
Silver Crown pits open at 1pm Eastern on Saturday, August 10. Spectator gates open at 3pm, vintage car warm-ups at 3pm, Silver Crown drivers meeting at 3:15pm, stock car practice from 3:30-3:50pm, first Silver Crown practice from 3:55-4:25pm, stock car practice from 4:30pm-4:45pm, final Silver Crown practice from 4:50-5:20pm, Qualifying at 5:45pm, opening ceremonies at 6:55pm followed by stock car and Silver Crown main events.
Advance adult general admission tickets are $23 for adults/teens and $5 for ages 7-12. Advance reserved tickets are $28.
Saturday's prestigious event can be watched LIVE and on-demand on FloRacing, listened to via live audio on the USAC app as well as live timing and scoring on both the USAC app and the Race-Monitor app.
ALL-TIME USAC SILVER CROWN STARTS:
1.  Dave Darland
2.  Russ Gamester & Brian Tyler
4.  Jerry Coons, Jr.
5.  Tracy Hines
6.  Jack Hewitt
7.  Johnny Parsons
8.  Tony Elliott
9.  Eric Gordon
10.  George Snider
11.  Gary Hieber
12.  Chuck Gurney
13.  Bud Kaeding & Jimmy Sills
15.  Dave Steele
16.  John Heydenreich
17.  A.J. Fike
18.  Larry Rice
19.  Kody Swanson
20.  Aaron Pierce
21.  Jay Drake & Paul White
23.  J.J. Yeley
24.  Tom Bigelow
25.  Mark Alderson
26.  Jason McCord
27.  Gary Bettenhausen
28.  Donnie Beechler & Levi Jones
30.  Rich Vogler
31.  Larry Dickson
32.  Steve Chassey
33.  Rich Tobias, Jr.
34.  Bobby East & Ryan Newman
36.  Robby Flock & Sheldon Kinser
38.  Steve Butler
39.  Billy Engelhart
40.  Joe Saldana
41.  Brad Noffsinger
42.  Jerry Nemire & Chris Windom
44.  Ron Shuman
45.  Randy Bateman & Wally Pankratz
47.  Rick Hood
48.  Bill Rose
49.  David Byrne & Gary Irvin
51.  Tom Capie & Shane Hollingsworth
53.  Chet Fillip, Jason Leffler & Bobby Santos
56.  Shane Cottle, Wayne Reutimann, Jr. & Jacob Wilson
59.  Tony Stewart
60.  Mike Bliss
61.  Bob Cicconi & Ken Schrader
63.  Jim Keeker & Bentley Warren
65.  Derek Davidson & Billy Vukovich
67.  Justin Grant & Jeff Swindell
69.  Kenny Irwin, Jr. & Tyler Walker
71.  Jon Stanbrough
72.  Dane Carter & Danny Milburn
74.  Aaron Fike, Andy Hillenburg, Warren Mockler & Chip Thomas
78.  Tray House, Jim McElreath & Tanner Swanson
81.  Shane Cockrum, Austin Nemire & Bobby Olivero
84.  Pancho Carter, Duke Cook, Todd Kane, Chuck Leary, Rusty McClure, Billy Puterbaugh, Jr. & Roger Rager
91.  Ed Carpenter, Ron Dunstan & Patrick Lawson
94.  Chris Urish
95.  Ronnie Burke, Davey Hamilton, Kevin Huntley, Greg Staab & Kevin Thomas
100.  Cary Faas, Jimmy Kite & Josh Wise
103.  Brent Kaeding & C.J. Leary
105.  Steve Cannon, Ron Gregory, Arnie Knepper, Jim Mahoney, Mat Neely & Stevie Reeves
111.  Tim Barber, Teddy Beach, Jeff Bloom, Zach Daum, Stan Fox, Manny Rockhold & Jerry Russell
118.  Rocky Hodges & Michael Lewis
120.  Dave Blaney & Bill Puterbaugh
122.  Brad Armstrong, Bryan Clauson & Matt Westfall
125.  Dan Drinan
126.  Steve Buckwalter, Kasey Kahne & Nick Lundgreen
129.  Pat Abold, Derek Hagar, Kenny Jacobs & Jerry Miller
133.  Brady Bacon & Matt Goodnight
135.  Terry Babb, Billy Cassella, Cameron Dodson, Kevin Doty, Bob Frey & Joe Liguori
- Kalamazoo Klash XXVII is Tomorrow!!
- Kalamazoo Speedway Track Talk – August 7, 2019